Do you want to go on a boat ride without any worry of your battery running out of power? Then this guide is to enlighten you on the best performers trolling motor batteries. You need to have a battery that can give you the best recreation on water for as long as you want, and bring you back on the shore safely.
All batteries if you look at them in a general view are excellent. But, their difference is in performance. We have therefore taken time to give you the critical positive side, the negative side, and the nitty-gritty of each battery to give you all the knowledge you require. Such are the facts that separate each battery from the other.
Listed below are the six of the best performers, best rated, and best value for money trolling motor batteries with all their features. The information comes to you in a simple layman’s language for your easy read and understanding.
Table of Contents
- Best Dual Purpose Marine Battery For Trolling Motors Saltwater
- Best Battery For Trolling Motor On Jon Boats Freshwater
- Best Deep Cycle Battery For Trolling Motor On Kayak
- Best Interstate Battery For 80lb Thrust Trolling Motor
- Best Cheap Trolling Motor Battery For The Money
- Best AGM Battery For 30lb Thrust Minn Kota Trolling Motor
- Best Might Max Battery For 30lb Thrust Trolling Motor
- Best 35Ah Universal Battery For Trolling Motor On Kayak
- Best 12v Chrome Deep Cycle Battery For Trolling Motor
- Best Expertpower Battery For 80lb Thrust Trolling Motor
- Best 100Ah Small Gel/Lithium Battery For Boat Motor
- Best 100Ah Universal Trolling Motor Battery
- What You Have To Know When Buying Your Trolling Motor Battery
- Types of Batteries
- Q: Is it essential to spend time selecting a battery for a trolling motor?
- Q: What is the most important thing to consider when buying a trolling motor battery?
- Q: What is the highest cause of a premature battery failing?
- Q: What should I consider for proper storage of a battery?
- Q: Should I clean my battery?
- Q: What should I do to maintain my battery?
Best Dual Purpose Marine Battery For Trolling Motors Saltwater
Optima 8016-103 D34M BlueTop Battery Review
The Optima is a brand name that is well known and well spoken of in the family of trolling motor. Besides that, the Optima Battery 8016-103 D34M BlueTop is the best seller and top rated among all the trolling motor batteries.
One of the reasons why this particular battery is popular in trolling motor is its versatility. You can use it in starting and also in deep cycling. Apart from gaining popularity in trolling motor industry, it is also making headway among campers. It can be used in an RV and with all RV’s camping types of equipment that use electricity.
Another reason for its recognition is its features. Among these features, one of them stands out, and it is its amperage of 55Ah rating. It can, therefore, be trusted to last for quite some hours while still going strong. It can go beyond other kinds of brands of its type three times more. Even with its sufficient power supply, it takes very little time to recharge it. With its 100Ah it just needs around 35 minutes to get fully recharged.
It has a constant performance reserve capacity which goes for 120 minutes.
To keep it from overcharging, you have to use its Optima charger and also be keen on following its charging care instructions.
The manufacturers designed in a way it can take all weather extremes without any problem. It will still kick-start in cold weather due to its ideal cold-cranking power. It is sturdy enough also to endure any type of vibration 15 times more than a standard wet cell.
Since it is an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery, it has a saturated battery acid inside its encasement of the glass mat to about 95% of its capacity. The plates tightly sandwich the glass mat by welding and soldering. The acid then is safe from spillage while the battery is not affected at all by vibration. Since there is no acid spillage, you are then from maintenance.
What is best with Optima 8016-103 D34M is its size and weight. It is 10” x 6 7/8” x 7 13/16” tall and weighs 43.5 pounds. With this kind of size and weight, it is effortless to mount it and dismount it by yourself without calling for help.
- It starts easily in extremely cold weather
- No fear of acid spillage. It can, therefore, be carried in any way and also mounted in any angle
- It is capable to power both the Trolling motor and all the electrical gadgets in the motor
- It is multipurpose. Both Trolling Motor and RVs can use it
- The lightweight of the battery is an advantage to the trolling motor which doesn’t have to endure extra weight
- It uses very little time to recharge fully
- Even with heavy power use, the battery can still last for about 11 hours
- It comes with a 24-month warranty
- It has to use a specific charger but not any other
- The charger is priced separately incurring an additional cost
The Optima 8016-103 D34M with its attractive design comes with everything you might need in a trolley motor battery. With all its best features, the price is relatively friendly giving you great value for a lower price
Best Battery For Trolling Motor On Jon Boats Freshwater
VMAXTANKS vmax857 Tm AGM Review
The VMAX857 AGM Battery is best for deep cycle. It is an ideal choice for trolling motors that are 18 to 35 lb and that require a battery that is 12 volt 35Ah capacity. It is an all-weather battery without any limitation on utility.
One best thing about this kind of battery is its long charge durability. Due to its AGM design, Silica gel and any contaminants were not used on it. Therefore, it is for this reason that the battery can offer high standard performance since the mat can absorb the electrolyte completely. There aren’t any excessive gases that can accumulate inside this battery. This is because it has been specially designed by including safety release valves which have automatic reseal feature.
VMAX857 AGM Battery’s rate of self-discharge is 1% to 2% in a month. You can never compare it with other standards of the same kind of deep cycle batteries that have a rate of discharge of 2% to 3%.
The battery’s unique sealing technology with its sturdy construction warrants leak-proof performance. It is therefore easy to mount it without affecting its function and durability. Not forgetting to mention that it is encased in a sturdy durable ABS plastic.
The ABS plastic gives it extra protection against bulging and warping of the plate. Another important feature of this battery is its military grade metal plates which protect the battery from harsh and rough conditions including vibration.
It is a great power backup generator alternative. You can use it as a power reserve for home use in case the central electrical power goes out. It can also be used for camping to light up, for TV, and with a DVD player. Since it is an AGM battery, it does not need maintenance because its acid cannot spill out due to its tight ABS plastic encasement.
- It can go for many hours on a small trolling motor in a low speed
- It is a light battery. Easy to mount and dismount
- It can be set at any angle since it is spill proof
- It is lightweight on the trolling motor
- Very little time is taken on recharging it
- It has 24-month warranty after sale
- You cannot use it for other purposes like cranking
- It has to use a particular charger and not any other
- It can only manage small trolling motor of 18 – 35 lb
It is a battery that is reliable on all deep cycle functions. Its unique features make it stand out from the others
Best Deep Cycle Battery For Trolling Motor On Kayak
Mighty Max 12 35AH SLA Battery Review
The Mighty Max 12 35Ah SLA Battery just like its name is mighty and robust because it is heavy duty. It is a rechargeable battery with great features that go beyond its relatively low price.
It is well suitable for your trolling motor. It comes with many useful features that make it be recognized and be placed on this list of the best trolling motor battery.
The Mighty Max is an excellent performer that prides itself for its state-of-art design which makes it stand out from the rest of its kind.
It uses AGM technology, and therefore you don’t need to worry of acid spillage since it is well absorbed and sealed in its glass mat. It is for this reason that it is from corrosion which gives you freedom from constant clean up. You are then safe in handling it and secure in your storage.
You can mount it in any angle of your choice without thinking of spillage. It also does not need any maintenance and therefore saves you at that time to do other things.
The battery is SLA meaning it is sealed lead acid that also is also known as valve-regulated. It has a valve which lets gases escape by ventilation just in case it overheats reducing chances of being damaged. That is another safety measure the manufacturer has put in.
It is a good compact size which measures 7.68” x 5.16” x 7.13” with a weight of 23.15 pounds which makes it easy to handle while mounting it and dismounting it.
The Mighty Max goes for 3 hours of service even while on its middle setting. Therefore, a Minn Kota C2 30-pound thrusting trolling motor or any other within the same range is the best choice for this battery.
It has a sturdy body that can withstand any shock and vibration. It also performs well on all extremes of weather and temperatures giving you rest from worrying when in this circumstances.
This battery which is AGM is designed with thick heavy plates which let you discharge deeper and longer without worry of losing power unexpectedly. It also charges five-times-faster compared to flooded batteries or non-AGM batteries. Its self-discharge is low when not in use so you can store it for some time and still be ready to use whenever you need it.
- It is a light battery and can work well on light boats like Kayak
- It can take about 2 hrs in the water on a small trolling motor and still be strong
- Flexible in mounting using any angle since it has no spillage
- No maintenance required
- Flexible on chargers. It does not need a special charger
- It is small in size and therefore uses little space to mount it
- It comes with a full one year warranty and with a 30-day refund policy
- It takes longer time in recharging compared to other top rated
- With its 35Ah, it cannot make many hours in water and therefore not suitable for intense deep seas functions
- It manages only small trolling motors
It is an all-around battery which can be used in many tasks like marine, household, camping, lighting, motorcycle and many more. It is therefore recommended for being a multipurpose battery.
Best Interstate Battery For 80lb Thrust Trolling Motor
Interstate Sealed Lead Acid (AGM) DCM0035 Review
The Sealed Lead Acid DCM0035 which is 12V and 35Ah is designed for Deep Cycle use. It has a compact size of 77” x 52” x 63” and weighs 23 pounds thus making it a very lightweight battery. It is for this reason then, and it becomes the best choice for using on your small trolling motor or an inflatable pontoon boat.
The battery is an AGM which means it contains its electrolyte and also binds its cells together and therefore it does not have the messy acid spillage. That is why you will never encounter any corrosion on it or have to do any maintenance on it.
You are sure to go anywhere with it and trust it to tolerate vibration of any sort. You will not have to worry about damaging its cells.
Even with its compact design, it can still give you high performance and so you need to have confidence in it. It will provide you with about 6 hours in the waters on a small trolling motor and still get you back to the shore.
Apart from using it on a trolling motor, you can use it for other purposes when you are not in the water. Such uses are; powering you electrical gadgets if you don’t have the central power in the house. You can also use it on your camp trailer or RV and other electrical uses when you are on a camping adventure or holiday. Either way, it will serve you well and to your satisfaction.
- Mountable in any angle without worry of spillage.
- Compact and light in weight which makes it easy to handle.
- The battery charges faster than most other competing products.
- With its thick and robust plastic covering, it can withstand bumps without changing its performance.
- Not much space is needed for it since it has a small size
- It does not have to be charged using a special charger
- It is affordable in price.
- It is a 35Ah and therefore cannot handle big trolling motor
- It cannot last the whole day in the water
- It is slow in charging
The Interstate DCM005 is ideal for a small trolling motor with an excellent performance in deep cycle. Mounting it and dismounting it is easy because of its lightweight. It is recommended If you consider the Pros against the Cons. It is, therefore, a battery to think of.
Best Cheap Trolling Motor Battery For The Money
Mighty Max 12V 55Ah SLA Review
One of the best things about Mighty Max SLA batteries is its wide variety uses. They are not single function batteries, and that is why they are known as multipurpose batteries. The applications include lawn mowing, motorcycles, solar, medical mobility, powered sports and many more. You will always find a need to use it even when you are not using it in the waters.
With its AGM technology, you are assured of a clean battery that does not require maintenance.
Mighty Max 12V 55Ah SLA is what you need when you are planning to go for many hours operation in the waters. It can handle a reasonable length of time of about 6 hours in a setting of medium speed and about 4 hours of high speed with a 30 lb thrusting trolling motor.
It is a mighty battery just like its name with a weight of 38.58 lbs and a size 9.02” x 5.43” x 9.13”. It is therefore not fit for the small trolling batteries because of the size and weight. The height and size can surprise you if you are replacing a 35Ah with it.
When mounting it, you can place it at any angle because it does not spill. In fact, you might want to lay on its side so that it does have to tower high with its height.
However, the weight and size is no problem for a standard trolling motor or a kayak.
It can work under any extreme weather conditions and still maintain its high performance. It can also resist vibration and shock without affecting it in any way.
- It gives you longer operation time in the water
- It is a powerful battery
- It resists well vibration and shock
- It does not need maintenance
- It does not get corroded from spillage
- It cannot be affected by extreme weather
- Longer charging time when fully drained
- Not suitable for small trolling motors and Kayak because of its size and weight
The Mighty Max 55Ah is powerful and can handle tough applications. Its performance overrides its price tag. It is a value for money battery.
Best AGM Battery For 30lb Thrust Minn Kota Trolling Motor
VMAX MR127 12 V 100Ah AGM Battery Review
VMAX MR127 has a slogan “tough batteries for tough applications” which suits it completely. Having 100Ah is a way too high rating of performance. With this kind of amperage, it can go for hours inside waters even while using a power trolling motor. Yes! It can handle 40 lbs thrusting trolling motor with no “sweat”.
The battery can give you 12 hours of running at the lowest speed and with a medium speed you are sure to get about 7 hours.
It can even handle 55-pound thrust trolling motor and still be going strong doing around 8 hours at a lower speed and about 5 hours in medium speed. And if you feel like going full throttle, it will give you one hr and 40 minutes which is equally good.
Only a big battery can handle 100Ah and therefore VMAX MR127 weights 68 lbs and its size is 12.1” x 6.7” x 8.2”.
The good news is that it is not limited to a particular charger. You can use a wind turbine, vehicle alternator, or a solar panel. However, you cannot use a smaller charger to charge this battery and neither can you charge with a maintainer. It also charges faster compared to the standard batteries and its size. But it will depend on the initial charge before charging. If it is completely drained, then expect it to charge for more extended hours.
The price is a relatively higher going with its size and performance. But knowing what you are getting for that price, it will not frighten you or even feel like you are robbing your pocket.
It is an AGM battery and therefore does not need checking or adding water during all its float service life which makes it maintenance free.
- It takes longer time in the waters
- It is maintenance free
- It can withstand shock and vibration without being affected
- It operates in all kinds of weather
- It is durable and sturdy because of the military grade plates it has
- It takes less time to charge
- The size and weight is far beyond the standard boat battery
- It is expensive without looking at its performance
The trolling motor you have does not matter while using a VMAX MR12. It will give you maximum quality performance that you cannot get on any other of its kind of batteries.
Points you need to take while buying your trolling motor battery
- Price – It should be what you can afford.
- Review – Open your eyes to get what others are saying about a specific battery.
- The reputation of the brand – Find out what people say about this brand before embarking on any purchase.
- AGM – Check whether the battery is an AGM for maintenance free.
- Lifespan – Check the longevity of the battery. How long you can last with it in regular use.
- Features – Be keen to check all the features and ask for assistance in learning about each of them.
When all the batteries you come across look good and appealing to you, how will you know the best one to use on your trolling motor? Most probably when searching for a battery to buy online, you might have your guidelines. What crosses your mind while searching? Is it price, brand, customers review, or the reputation of that particular battery? While these are relevant facts to consider while purchasing, there are other factors that you need to add to that list.
Best Might Max Battery For 30lb Thrust Trolling Motor
ML35-12 SLA Mighty Max Battery
- Recover deep discharge
- Compatible in extreme temperatures
- Resistant to heavy vibrations and shocks
This is a sealed lead acid AGM battery, weighing only 24 pounds. It is a 12 volt battery with power of 35Ah. This battery is capable of recovering deep discharge and is compatible even in extreme temperatures. This battery is spill proof and is totally a maintenance battery. The ML35-12 SLA Mighty Max Battery can be mounted in any position without any hamper in its performance. Its unique technology makes the battery resistant to heavy vibrations and shocks. The cost of this battery is pretty cheap. It is an ideal choice for trolling motors, golf carts and other units for those who have low budget.
Best 35Ah Universal Battery For Trolling Motor On Kayak
UB12350 Universal battery
- High performance capability
- Ready to install
- Ideal trolling motor battery
This is a sealed lead acid AGM 12 volt trolling motor battery and it weighs 24 pounds. The AGM technology of this battery gives it high performance capability. This battery is valve regulated and is completely spill proof; it can be mounted in any position. The UB12350 universal battery comes charged and it is a ready to install battery. This battery is totally maintenance and there is no need of adding additional water. The UB12350 universal battery can be used in many appliances like wheel chair, alarm, trolling motor, motorcycle and many more. This battery is a good choice for low budget purchase.
Best 12v Chrome Deep Cycle Battery For Trolling Motor
Chrome Battery 35AH 12V DC SLA
- Reliable rechargeable battery
- Nut and bolt terminal connections
- Fiberglass mat technology
This is a 12 volt sealed lead acid deep cycle AGM battery with power 35Ah. This chrome battery is one of the most reliable rechargeable batteries. The terminal of this battery is designed for nut and bolt connections. the plates of this battery are made of lead and calcium alloy and the AGM technology makes the battery 100% maintenance and spill or leak proof. The life of the battery is extended due to the fiberglass mat technology, which makes the battery resistant to heavy and extreme vibrations. This battery weighs 23 pounds and it is an ideal choice for solar storage.
Best Expertpower Battery For 80lb Thrust Trolling Motor
VMAX 85Ah MR 107 12V
- Rated 85 Ah.
- The electrolyte suspension system uses Absorbed Glass Mat that absorbs and contains the electrolyte without the contaminates.
- Heavy-duty grids are constructed with lead-tin alloys providing additional performance and service life.
- This battery is maintenance , so there is no need to check specific gravity or need to add water to float life.
- The average service life is 8-10 years.
Best 100Ah Small Gel/Lithium Battery For Boat Motor
Deka Dominator Gel Batteries
- The Dominator boasts a long deep cycle life.
- Provides ultimate trolling and accessory power performance.
- The protection against vibration and deep cycle is superior.
- During periods when not being used, the Dominator has better capacity protection.
- The no-spill, leak-resistant design and construction provides safer installation and transport.
Best 100Ah Universal Trolling Motor Battery
UB 121000 AGM Battery
Premium quality Absorbed Glass Mat technology (AGM) technology is designed for greater performance.
It is a completely spill-proof, leak-proof, and maintenance-.
One year warranty.
Porous microfibre separators completely absorb and trap vibrations.
The moulded top and side connection terminals provide versatility, increased strength and durability.
What You Have To Know When Buying Your Trolling Motor Battery
Amperage Hour (Ah)
Amperage hour is what the battery consumes in an hour in terms of amps. Amps are like ‘fuel’ to batteries. By the number of amps in a battery, you then have an idea how long that particular battery can take with charge. A 35Ah battery can go for about 7 hours at a setting of slow speed. While in the same setting, a 100Ah can go for about 20 hours. With this kind of information, you have an idea what to choose in a battery concerning amps.
Sizes of batteries play a considerable role in trolling motors. With a small trolling motor, you do not match with a heavy battery. It will obviously weigh it down. A big trolling motor will need a bigger size, hence the bigger the battery the powerful it is. The size and weight are displayed in the catalog, and you cannot miss to see it.
We have already covered the lifespan issues on the point ‘types of batteries’. A lifespan of a battery can also be affected by how you handle it. Better handling will maintain your battery for a long lifespan.
Vibration and Shock Proof
Some batteries can withstand vibration and shock very well. It all depends what the application of your trolling motor is. Be on the look-out for these kinds of batteries. Vibration and shock resistance are some of the features that give your battery durability boost.
Ease of Use
Installing a battery on your trolling motor should be a thing you can handle on your own. Be keen to check on this factor from reviews. Check everything so that you do not end up with a battery you cannot handle on your own. Some batteries are easy to handle. Look out for them.
Some batteries are one-function batteries. Still, there are others that a multipurpose. They are versatile such that they have other uses apart from running your trolling motor. Some double up on RVs, scooters, motorcycles, home appliances, wheelchairs and other more uses. Look out for such type of batteries.
Types of Batteries
AGM stands for Absorbed Glass Mat. What does this mean? It means that these types of batteries are constructed with glass plates and gel-like substance. They are then entirely sealed with the acid inside the sealed encasement. They are therefore maintenance free.
These types of batteries can go beyond 4 years and still give you high performance. It is for this reason and other superior features in these kinds of batteries make them to be twice expensive compared to wet-cell batteries.
These types of batteries are the standard deep cell batteries. Their price is not exorbitant compared to AGM ones. They are stable enough to endure several recharges and power drains.
These are the kind that you need to give follow-up maintenance every other time. They need to be topped with distilled water once in a while. Their lifespan is about one or two years, and then they need replacement.
This is a common name for batteries because that is what Smartphone’s’ batteries are called. For the ones for the trolling motors are obviously bigger. The batteries are the top of the tops since they are known to be durable. Just by paying close attention to them and maintaining their temperature to below 105 degrees, they can even go for over 10 years. This and other reasons could be what make them exorbitantly expensive.
Q: Is it essential to spend time selecting a battery for a trolling motor?
A: The battery is an essential item in your trolling motor. You need to use high quality to attain the purposes of your trolling motor. The power and the performance of a battery are what you should be keen on when selecting a trolling motor battery. Take your time looking for a suitable one.
Check the features of different batteries, and you should not shy away from asking questions on the features. Go for the one with the best features that suit your applications.
Q: What is the most important thing to consider when buying a trolling motor battery?
A: First, you have to learn about Ampere-Hour (Ah) in a battery or Reserve Capacity rating, and weight that will be suitable for your need in a trolling motor. Most of the trolling motor batteries are rated in rate-of-discharge of 100 Ah, 55 Ah or 35 Ah. The more the Ah, the better the battery is. The battery with higher Ah takes more hours in its application, and it will weigh more since it is constructed with more lead in thicker plates.
Also, you need to know that when the battery’s Ah is high like 100 Ah, it shows that the robust of that particular battery is high. It means the performance will be high as well. Most batteries with high amperage are also heavy due to the thick plates used to construct them.
Q: What is the highest cause of a premature battery failing?
- Losing electrolyte due to overcharging or heat
- Sulfation of lead while in storage
- High temperatures or freezing
- Vibration on excess
- Calcium sulfation which is caused by using tap water
- A very high rate of recharging which is beyond C/10
- Extreme high temperatures causing growth or positive grid corrosion
- Positive plate shedding due to old age
Q: What should I consider for proper storage of a battery?
A: While in storage the natural self-discharge of a battery is 1% to 15% per month. When the battery’s charge state goes below 80%, lead sulfation then starts occurring. Extreme heat speeds up self-discharge while extreme cold slows it. The following are things you should do when storing a battery:
- Inspect your battery physically for damaged cases, clean while drying the tops of the battery, and remove corrosion if there is any of it.
- Separate different types of batteries while in storage. Do not mix them up.
- Your battery storage should be a dark place which is slightly below room temperature.
- Always recharge your battery fully before storing
- Depending on the extremes of temperatures which affect the rate of self-discharge, check the battery’s charge state periodically. When its recharge state drops lower than 80%, you need to recharge it. Check with the manufactures manual on how to go about this.
Q: Should I clean my battery?
A: Do you want to handle a dirty battery? The answer undoubtedly should be no. Your battery may collect grime or dirt during its use. Before and after storing it is advisable to clean it off the dirt. While in the cleaning process, fill your battery with distilled water once in a while if it is a wet lead acid battery.
Q: What should I do to maintain my battery?
A: The AGM batteries are known to be maintenance free. However, there are fundamental things you should do to protect the battery.
- Be keen while charging as you do not want to overcharge your battery. Overcharging is one of the reasons for destroying the functionalities of your battery.
- Be eager to know how much energy is being drawn from the battery. Make sure you do not drain your battery dry while using it. Using 75% of your battery’s charge is a goal you should set when using it. In fact, doing that can maintain the life of your battery.
- Every once in a while inspect your wet lead acid battery to fill it with distilled water. You can use a hydrometer in testing the concentration of an acidic substance. Also, see that the battery’s acid is not overflowing. This kind of battery needs thorough and intensive maintenance.
Having gone through the guideline keenly, you have all the information you need on each battery. You have taken note on the amperage, size and the weight which are three major features to look for in a battery. You now know that there are three types of batteries; AGM, Lithium-ion, and the wet-cell. You also know that there are multipurpose and single function batteries. Compare and contrast each battery carefully with all these points in mind, and you will narrow your search to the best one. “The best choice is your best choice.” Go for it!