In today’s modern world, the outdoors can be close to being home. When on a camping trip in the mountains or in the wilderness experience the comforts of your home with the best portable potty for camping.
Some people shy away from camping because of the discomfort of not having toilet facilities. It can be worse when you have children tagging along on the trip. Answering the call of nature while on a camping trip is no longer a problem because of the convenience of portable potties.
Portable potties are available in a variety of options. There are high-end potties such as the Porta Potti Curve Portable Toilet which comes in a modern and sleek design with battery operated flush along with a capacity of 5.5 galloon for waste water and a fresh water tank capacity of 4 gallons.
There are also simple ones such as the Hassock Portable Potty with only a cover and a removable bucket inside to get rid of wastes.
Table of Contents
- Types of Portable Potty for Camping
- Things to Consider When Choosing a Portable Potty for Camping
- Best Portable Potty for Camping
Types of Portable Potty for Camping
There are basically two types of portable potties that may be used for camping based on their uses.
- Flush Toilets: This type of potty comes with a flush mechanism. Just like toilets in the home they also come with fresh water and waste tanks. Most of these types of toilets need to use deodorizers or chemical cleaning agents.
- Bag Toilets: These types of potty do not have tanks. These are simple potties where wastes are stored in plastic disposable bags.
Most bags are biodegradable though, so they do not harm the environment when disposed in camp site areas. They are usually disposed by being buried about 5 inches below the ground. Powder is added to waste to transform them to solid form.
On the other hand, there are also two types of portable potties based on how they deal with waste:
- Compost Toilet: This is an eco-friendly way of disposing waste. It does not use water, instead waste is disposed somewhere else, far away from the campsite. Bag toilets dispose wastes in this manner.
- Chemical Toilet: This is by far the most popular type of potty in terms of waste management. Liquid chemicals are often added to the base of the potty. The chemicals will transform waste into liquid form so they can be easily disposed. Most flush toilets dispose wastes in this manner.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Portable Potty for Camping
Access to decent toilet facilities is one of the challenges faced by frequent campers. It’s a good thing portable potties are now readily available. Not all portable potties are created equal, so you need to be meticulous in choosing the right potty depending on your specific need.
Here are some of the things you need to consider before deciding on which portable potty to take to your camping trips.
Type of Portable Potty
In choosing the type of the potty, it is important to consider the number of days at a time it is going to be used. The number of people using it on each trip should also be considered.
If your trip is only going to be for 1 or 2 days with only about up to 4 of you, a small portable toilet with disposable bags should be sufficient enough to take care of your toilet needs.
If you are going on, longer camping trips and are in a big group, then you should take along larger toilets that come with flushing systems.
Size of toilet
Bag and flush type portable toilets are available in a various sizes. They also come in various measurements depending on the amount of waste they can hold. This is an important factor to consider because of storage considerations. The size of the potty is also commensurate with its weight.
Capacity of the Potty
How much waste the potty can store is also an important factor to look into especially when you are purchasing a flush type potty. Some potties have the capacity to hold about 1 or 2 days’ worth of waste while some can hold up a seven days of camping.
If you usually go on long camping trips, you should be conscious of the number of flushes a potty can handle before you need to empty it.
The portable potty will need to emptied at some point in time. There are portable potties that come with biodegradable bags. They are easy to dispose because most of them contain powder that will transform liquid waste into solid form. These bags can be buried in 5 inches below the ground.
Ease of Use
Choose one that is easy to use and transport. Some portable potties fold up and come with easy to carry handles. Some also come stored in backpacks.
Always go for portable potties that are easy to carry, set-up, cleaned, emptied and packed-up. Choose a portable toilet that is made of lightweight ABS plastic for easy transport.
Emphasis should always to be given on how easy it is to clean the potty. If it is difficult to clean, you will not be able to get rid of the odor.
Quality and Strength
It is always a must to check on customer feedbacks and reviews before choosing a product. It could be cool to have a portable toilet that comes in a sleek design that is easy to use and carry.
More importantly they need to have a strong and quality construction. When you are out there in the camp site, your potty will be exposed to the elements even when there is a tent over it. You would not want a potty that will fail when you need it most.
Best Portable Potty for Camping
Now that you know what to look for in a portable potty, here are the top 5 best portable potty for camping.
Thetford Porta Potti Portable Toilet
The Thetford 92360 Porta Potti Curve Portable Toilet is a top of the line portable potty which allows you to carry the comforts of your home to the campsite. This portable potty is battery operated and features a powerful flush. It comes with an ideal capacity and a curve shape.
- Ideal height for comfort
- Curved shape for comfortable seating
- Battery operated flushing system to keep the bowl always clean
- Comes with a top lid for spill and odor prevention
- Leak—proof and odorless for maximum sanitation
- Each tank can make 56 flushes
- Hidden controls for level indicator of waste and fresh water tanks.
- Hidden flush controls
- Pour-Out Spout for easy emptying
- Pour out valve comes with a cap for easy cleaning
- Toilet paper handle is out of sight but within reach
- Comes with a 5.5 gallon waste water and 4.0 gallon fresh water capacities
- Water tank comes with a carrying handle
- Ideal for large camping groups
- Weighs 10 pounds
- Fantastic 5 flushes in one cycle
- Tank comes with a level indicator
- Comes with a built-in toilet paper holder
- Large toilet bowl allows for comfortable seating and easy cleaning
- Appealing appearance
- Starts to emit some odor when waste tank is only half full.
- Odor tends leak after only a couple of uses
The Thetford 92360 Porta Potti Curve Portable Toilet brings your home into the campsite.
Sanitation Equipment Visa Potty (Model 268)
This Visa Potty from Sanitation Equipment Limited features a simply yet practical and sturdy design. It can withstand the strong winds and nerve-wrecking conditions in the campsite. It is spill and odor-free.
- Comfortable and portable design
- Easy waste disposal
- Features 2 level indicators
- Comes with a 24 liter capacity
- Odor and spill-proof
- Can make 50 flushes before needing a change
- Solid and ideal toilet lid
- Sturdy, solid and strong material which can accommodate even bigger people
- Sufficient holding tank
- Well-designed flush system
- Ideal capacity
- Lightweight for convenient transport
- Filled tank can get to really be heavy
- Does not include a septic tank
- Shallow bowl
- Level needs to be always pulled out to properly function
The Visa Potty from Sanitation Equipment Limited comes with a 4 oz Gold liquid concentrate for easy dumping of wastes.
The Camco Premium Portable Travel Toilet comes in a compact and sleek design. It has all the important features needed for a camping portable potty. It does not leak and is odorless. It is easy to clean, too. It has a tough and solid construction design.
- 3-D swiveling dumping elbow and directional flush
- Handy dumping elbow for almost mess free cleaning of the flush tank
- Smooth flush tank for easy cleaning
- Easy to remove and put together flush tank because of the spring-type latch is
- 6 gallon capacity
- Made from ABS molded resin
- Features a sturdy tight seal
- Features a valve with sliding gate for extra odor protection
- Comes with a fresh water tank and a flush tank
- Does not contain any chemical except a deodorizer
- Easy to dump waste because it is chemical-free
- Sliding gate valve provides extra odor protection
- Made from durable materials
- Does not include a toilet paper storage.
- Small but will not fit the back side of the car
- Springs of the latch needs maintenance
- Springs of the latch gets easy worn out making it difficult to use
Although it is a small potty, it is made of tough and durable materials.
Hassock Portable Lightweight Self-Contained Toilet
The Hassock Portable Lightweight Self-Contained Toilet is one of the more popular portable potties in the market. It has a comfortably designed seat. Its detachable inner bucket makes it easy to dispose wastes and clean.
- Self-contained, light and portable
- Features an Eco-fresh pocket for sanitation
- Contoured and comfortable seat
- Comes with an inner splash cover
- Detachable and easy to empty inner bucket
- Comes with an ergonomic paper holder
- Compatible with the Reliance Double Doodie bag
- Perfect camping portable potty
- Inner splash cover
- Comes with a tissue holder
- Lightweight, easy to use and dispose inner bucket
- Extremely comfortable portable potty
- Thin container which affects its sturdiness
- Top is not too secure and the potty may spill the mess.
The wastes stored in the Hassock Portable Lightweight Self-Contained Toilet is odorless. This is a product that provides so much value for money. It is a must-have for any camping trip.
Stansport 271 Portable Folding Camp Toilet
This Stansport 271 Portable Folding Camp Toilet is lightweight, compact and made of high grade materials. It comes with tube-like legs. Legs are heavy duty so they can carry a molded plastic seat and a person’s weight. Plastic bags that comes with this portable potty are easy to set-up and use.
- Compact design
- 4 steel tube-like legs
- White molded plastic seat
- Feature removable plastic ring that attaches the plastic bag to the seat of the potty.
- Plastic ring keeps the plastic in place
- Foldable thus easy to store and carry
- Easy to store and carry
- Comes with a one-year warranty
- Features heavy duty tube like legs (4) and a plastic molded seat
- Bags remain secured to the seat because of the plastic ring
- Plastic ring looks too light to be able to hold the plastic bag in place
- Flimsy toilet
- Not suitable for adults
This is a simple and foldable portable potty ideal for short camping trips.
With the modern and convenient portable potties available, you no longer have any reasons to ditch camping trips due to hygiene issues. These portable potties give you the convenience of being just like in your home while in the middle of a camp site.
Choose the best portable potty for camping based on the number of people intending to use it and the number of days it is going to be used.
There is a wide range of styles and designs to choose from made by reliable manufacturers to make sure you enjoy your adventure without having to worry about hygiene. Let the best portable potty for camping in 2019 take care of those issues while you are having fun!