If you have a swimming pool at home, it is important to know that maintaining the right water temperature is critical. If it is too hot, it can be a breeding ground for bacteria and can cause dehydration. On the other hand, when it is too cold, it won’t only be uncomfortable, it can also be a danger for people who have health problems.
To keep the temperature at the optimal level, you will need to invest in the best pool thermometer. It provides an easy way to accurately determine how hot or cold the water is, allowing you to make the necessary adjustments as needed. If you are clueless about the thermometer to buy, keep on reading and we’ll let you know some of the top choices to consider.
Best Pool Thermometer – Our Top Pick
#1 Editor’s Choice: Etekcity Laser Grip 774 Non-Contact Thermometer
This non-contact digital thermometer is a general-purpose tool that can be used beyond measuring the temperature of the swimming pool, making it a great investment. You can also use it on engine parts, cooking surfaces, and wine coolers, among others.
One thing that you will love the most in this product is how it comes with a user-friendly design. All that you need to do is to aim precisely on the water in the pool. The laser beams will work to accurately measure the temperature of the water.
To make it easier to use, the unit is also equipped with a crystal-clear display. It may be small, but the readings will be easy to see regardless if it is day or night since the screen is backlit.
The durability of the thermometer is also hard to rival. It is UV-coated, which will provide protection from the external elements that could speed up wear and tear.
It comes with a 9-volt battery, which is also long-lasting. The unit automatically turns off on its own after not being used for a while, which will help extend its battery life.
Lastly, the product comes with a two-year warranty from the manufacturer.
#2 Best Analog Pool Thermometer: Milliard Floating Pool Thermometer
If you are looking for an affordable pool thermometer, this is one that should be on the top of the list. While the first one works in a digital manner, this model is an analog thermometer, which is perhaps one of the reasons why it is economical.
This thermometer has a height of seven inches, which makes it compact and lightweight. There is a polar bear on the top, which gives your pool a decorative touch. There is also a tether, which will come handy when it comes to keeping the thermometer in its place. It also comes with readings in both Celsius and Fahrenheit.
In terms of construction, the thermometer is made of ABS plastic. While it is lightweight, you can be confident that it will be able to withstand many years of use.
Lastly, because this is an analog thermometer, you will also like how it does not need any battery to operate. Despite this, however, there are some who are concerned about the accuracy of the thermometer as it lacks the innovative features that you can find in its digital counterparts.
#3 Best Floating Pool Thermometer: Aquatix Floating Pool Thermometer
This is another floating analog thermometer that should also be included on your list. It provides readings in both Fahrenheit and Celsius. The problem, however, is that is not digital, which is why some people can be quite hesitant about its accuracy. Despite this, as the manufacturer claims, this will deliver accurate readings. The maximum reading is 40 Celsius and 100 Fahrenheit.
The manufacturer also guarantees that you will only have to buy once. With its durability, it can be used for years without being worried that the performance will be compromised. It is also shatter-resistant.
To be confident about the quality and functionality that it delivers, the manufacturer is offering a one-year warranty. If you are unhappy with the purchase, just let the manufacturer know and they will issue an unconditional refund.
#4 Best Wireless Pool Thermometer: Ambient WS-14 Wireless
For a more innovative option, this is a product that you might want to consider. Among others, one of its best features is the 8-channel selectable switch. With the latter, you will be able to read the temperature from up to eight separate devices that are connected to the wireless reader.
This product has two main parts. The first one is the floating device that you have to place directly on the swimming pool. It has a screw-on lid, which will protect the internal components from water and damage. Meanwhile, the indoor console monitors both indoor and outdoor temperature. While the floating device has its own screen to show the temperature of the water, the display can also be transmitted directly to the console so that you can have it monitored even without the need to go anywhere near the pool.
#5 Best Infrared Pool Thermometer: Raytek MT6 Infrared Thermometer
An infrared thermometer is not specifically made for a swimming pool, but it can also be used for measuring the temperature of water. It is digital, so you can expect that the quality will be hard to match, especially when it comes to accuracy.
This model uses the single dot laser sighting, making it a reliable product. Despite not having physical contact with water, the laser guidance system will make the readings a lot easier.
The durability of this product is also worth noting. The price is steep for most buyers, but it will be worth your money given the fact that it is built to withstand the test of time. Aside from being long-lasting, it also has an ergonomic design for your comfort.
Importance of Maintaining the Right Water Temperature
Here are some of the reasons why you need to constantly monitor the temperature of water in the swimming pool, which will be possible only if you have the best thermometer.
- Improves Comfort: When the pool is too cold or too hot, no one would dare to take the plunge. With this, it is important that the temperature is checked constantly for people to swim comfortably.
- Prevents Bacteria Growth: If the pool water is too warm, there is a higher risk that the bacteria will grow in water. This could put your health and safety at risk. To be specific, children will be most vulnerable.
- Balances Chemicals: The pool has certain chemicals for sanitation. However, the wrong temperature can cause an imbalance in the chemicals. For instance, if it is too hot, the chlorine will end up burning faster. This can also trigger the growth of algae.
Types of Pool Thermometers
Generally speaking, there are two types of pool thermometers that will confront you:
- Analog Pool Thermometer: This is for those who are looking for a budget-friendly alternative. It comes with a mercury strip that will go up or down depending on the temperature readings.
- Digital Pool Thermometer: It provides readings automatically, making it more convenient for the user. Some even do not have to make contact with the water as it has laser guides. Some have a sensing probe that you have to submerge in the water. The temperature will be displayed on a small digital screen, which is often backlit.
Choosing the Best Pool Thermometer
To make it easier for you to pick a product with the highest potential, here are some of the most important things you have to take into account:
- Durability: Look at the overall construction of the thermometer. Make sure that it is waterproof and it is made to withstand the test of time. Otherwise, it will only be a waste of money.
- Ease of Use: You will benefit from choosing a product with user-friendly features. It should come with detailed instructions from the manufacturer. Care and maintenance should also be a snap on your end.
- Display: If it is digital, the screen should have a backlight that will allow you to easily see the temperature reading. Even if it is analog, there should be clear markings for you to read the temperature in a snap.
- Battery: In the case of the battery-operated models, you have to consider how long the battery will last. More often than not, because of the low power consumption of the device, batteries are expected to be long-lasting.
- Warranty: This is important if you are buying an expensive product. Within the warranty coverage, you can expect support from the manufacturer in case the thermometer needs to be repaired or if there are defective parts that should be replaced.
Indeed, a pool thermometer is one thing that you will need! Your swimming pool will be a safer and more comfortable place when you can monitor the right temperature all the time.
While you will have tons of choices, this should not be an excuse for you to choose just any product. If you will ask for our team’s opinion, we would say that the best pick is the Etekcity Laser Grip 774 Non-Contact Thermometer. It uses an innovative laser system to accurately measure temperature in the pool without the need for the device to touch the water!