Looking for the perfect way to make your swimming pool look more beautiful without the need for costly repairs? Worried about the safety of your children when they are using the pool at night? In both of these instances, you will surely benefit from having the best LED pool light. It is an energy-efficient way to improve the swimming pool in more ways than one.
As you start looking for a LED light to be used in the pool, it won’t take long before you realize that it is a challenging task. Nonetheless, this does not mean that there should be an excuse for you to choose just any product. Keep on reading the rest of this guide and we got you covered! We’ll help you come up with the right decision and the best bang for the buck!
Table of Contents
- Benefits of LED Pool Lights
- Best LED Pool Light – Our Top Pick 2019
- #1 Editor’s Choice: Intex LED Pool Wall Light
- #2 Best Floating Pool Lights: LOFTEK LED RGB Glow Ball
- #3 Best Incandescent Pool Light: Pentair 601301 Intellibrite 5G Underwater LED Light
- #4 Best Color Changing LED Pool Light: Bulb Wizards Pool Bright Color-Changing LED Pool Bulb
- #5 Best Inground Pool Light: WYZM 20-watt LED Pool Light Bulb
- Choosing the Best LED Pool Light
- Wrap Up
Benefits of LED Pool Lights
While there are many types of lights that can be installed in a pool, why is LED the most popular? Compared to incandescent, halogen, and fiber optics, among others, LED is preferred because of its energy efficiency. It utilizes the most innovative green technologies to make it consume minimal power without compromising its lighting output.
The longevity of LED is another thing that makes it great. This means that you do not need to have the lights replaced every now and then, allowing it to provide excellent value for the money. While the initial cost can be steep, it should be noted that the long-term savings will be worth it. Many of the lights that fall under this category can last up to 15 years.
The popularity of LED lights can also be attributed to the impressive illumination that it can provide. Even if you have a large pool, the light output is sure to not disappoint.
Best LED Pool Light – Our Top Pick 2019
#1 Editor’s Choice: Intex LED Pool Wall Light
- Best Hot Tub Covers (2019 Reviews) – When should I replace my hot tub cover?
- Best Hot Tub (Reviews 2019) – Is it safe to use a hot tub when I am pregnant?
- Best Hot Tub Chemicals 2019 – Why is it necessary to shock my hot tub water?
- Best Hot Tub Vacuum – Why is it necessary after using sanitizing solution ? (2019 Reviews)
Our personal favorite from the list, this is made by Intex, a company with a global reputation for the superior quality of their above ground pools and accessories.
As long as the pool does not come with a metal wall, this is one of the most promising options you will ever find. There are two parts with a magnetic connection. One is attached to the unit and the other have to be placed outside the wall for the light to be in place. If it detaches, the light will automatically float. This makes the installation a snap to accomplish since there is no need to deal with the wiring.
The brightness of the light is one more thing worth highlighting, making it an exceptional choice. It is brighter compared to a 50-watt halogen pool light. At its brightness, this will be more than enough for a pool with a size of 24 x 52 feet.
Because it utilizes the LED technology, you can expect that it won’t disappoint when it comes to energy-efficiency, similar to the other lights mentioned below. It comes with a 120-volt plug and a 12-volt transformer. The power cord, on the other hand, has a length of 23 feet.
#2 Best Floating Pool Lights: LOFTEK LED RGB Glow Ball
If you are on the lookout for the brightest floating pool light, this is one option that is worth taking into account, especially if your main concern is to add aesthetics to the pool. This plastic globe light will surely mesmerize anyone who will see it and will uplift the mood of the pool.
This light is powered by a rechargeable internal battery, which is why you do not need to have it wired. You can just toss it in the pool and let it float while it is lighted. When fully charged, the battery can last for up to 12 hours.
The ball has multi-colored and vibrant LED lights with 16 RGB colors and 4 lighting modes. There is a small remote that will allow you to conveniently control the color and light patterns.
It is also worth noting that it has an eco-friendly construction. It does not contain mercury and lead, among other components that are possibly toxic to humans.
It comes with an IP65 waterproof rating, so you should not be concerned about using it in the pool. It is built in such a way that it is waterproof and dustproof.
Lastly, to be provided with peace of mind, this pool light is covered by the manufacturer’s warranty for 12 months.
#3 Best Incandescent Pool Light: Pentair 601301 Intellibrite 5G Underwater LED Light
This is an unrivaled choice for those who are looking for a pool light that does not compromise power. This Pentair LED pool light has 500 watts of power, providing an assurance that it can deliver exceptional illumination to your swimming pool.
One of the defining features of this LED light is the fact that it can be rotated to an angle of up to 180 degrees. With the latter, you can customize the beam patterns whether you like it to be wide or narrow. This way, you can also choose where exactly to direct the light.
The installation can be quite tricky, which is better left off to the hands of the pros. The warranty will be voided if the light is not installed by a licensed technician. You must choose a Pentair technician to be covered by the warranty. Speaking of the warranty, the light is covered only for 60 days from the time of purchase. You can apply for an extended warranty, but you must meet the conditions specified by the manufacturer.
#4 Best Color Changing LED Pool Light: Bulb Wizards Pool Bright Color-Changing LED Pool Bulb
Does your swimming pool look boring? Give it life by adding this color-changing light bulb! It is sure to be an instant way to make the pool a stand out feature of your backyard at night. This light has seven solid colors. More so, there are four selectable speeds when it comes to the transition of color, with the slowest being approximately every 20 minutes.
This light does not come with a remote control basically because such is no longer needed. You can activate it through the on/off switch. You can just flip the switch to change the speed at which the light color would transition.
Lastly, it comes with a five-year warranty from the manufacturer, which is without a doubt one of the best from the products that have been mentioned in this post.
#5 Best Inground Pool Light: WYZM 20-watt LED Pool Light Bulb
If you have an inground pool and if there is already a light housing that is installed, this is one product that should be on the top of the list. Again, it should be noted that this is only a light bulb and not a complete assembly.
With the use of this light, you can choose from 15 color settings. You can also choose the speed at which the colors will transition.
If you need more lights, you can connect several light bulbs. A timer can also be installed, but you have to purchase it separately.
The unit comes with a one-year warranty from the manufacturer. However, the warranty will be void due to faulty wiring or when water enters the housing.
Choosing the Best LED Pool Light
While there is an abundance of choices, this should not give you an excuse to decide in haste. Rather, you should be meticulous in making a decision to be assured of making the right choice. To help you out, here are some of the most important factors that you have to take into consideration:
- Installation: As much as possible, choose lights that won’t require too much effort when it comes to installation. For instance, floating lights are great since you no longer need to wire. If you have a non-metal above ground pool, you can also use a light that comes with magnetic attachments.
- Brightness: As you try to look at the options, you should also consider the amount of bright light that it is able to generate. Take a look at the technical specifications. If you have a large pool, you need a bright and powerful light. In some cases, you will also need more than one light.
- Color: Because lights are used for decorative purposes, its color will play an important role. Choose a light with several solid colors. Some lights can have as much as 15 colors, which is sure to improve the ambiance of the pool. It will also be good to choose a light that transitions automatically into a different color at a predetermined speed.
- Warranty: This is important because this is what will provide you with peace of mind. The manufacturer can offer free repair within the warranty coverage. Nonetheless, you have to follow the terms that have been specified to avoid the warranty from being voided.
From the five products that have been mentioned above, our top pick is the Intex LED Pool Wall Light. It is user-friendly since it attaches to the wall through a magnet. It is also bright enough to illuminate even a large pool. Best of all, it is manufactured by a brand we can all agree on as being superior.